Interesting Facts About Belize
Mariposa Belize Beach Suites and Resort is lucky to call Belize its home! There are many wonderful things about Belize that are small parts of what make this country a hidden gem. If you’d like to investigate any of them, Mariposa is your home base:
- If you’re interested in the Mayans, Belize has over 900 registered Mayan sites that are well documented and easy to visit. The tallest building in the country is a Mayan temple!
- While many languages are prevelant in Belize, English remains the official language of the country.
- Belize has one of the highest viewable shark migratory populations in the entire world. If you’re a sucker for Shark Week, we have Shark Months! (April-July every year)
- Belize takes its natural setting and habitat very seriously, with over 2/3rds of the country’s forests are untouched and protected.
- The only jaguar preserve in the world lies within Belize’s borders.
- No typical fast food restaurants exist in Belize. There’s a lot of great food cooked by a lot of great Belize residents although!
- The shorelines of Belize have some of the most consistently temperate waters in the world. The annual average difference in temperature is only 4 degrees Fahrenheit! (79-83 degrees)
- Belize boasts one of the most dense populations on earth due to most of its inhabitants gathering in towns/cities and leaving the wilderness to fourish
- Belize is home to over 500 species of birds making it an excellent destination for birdwatchers!
- The Belize Natural Reef is one of the biggest unbroken coral/island chains in the world covering more than 200 small atolls and cayes
Belize has so much to offer visitors that you should be careful when you visit, you might not want to go home!