8 Must Know Tips Before Visiting Belize
When it comes to travel spots in Central America, Belize is one of the best places you can go to. Rather than list off each and every great thing about this little slice of paradise, we decided to file down all of the perks into eight notable items. Give a look over our list and you will see just how tantalizing Belize can be as a travel destination.
- Belize is part of the ancestral homeland of the Maya and we know from the many ruins and monuments of this culture that there used to be over 1 million Maya living in the area now known as Belize.
- Thanks to its location, the weather in Belize is sunny for most of the year and the temperature rarely dips below the 70s. Just be mindful of the humidity.
- A caye, also known as a cay or key, is a sandy island along the surface of the Belize barrier reef. Belize has hundreds of cayes off of its coast and Silk Caye and Laughing Bird Caye are especially popular ones to visit.
- Belize does not have any fast-food chains. Furthermore, tipping may not be mandatory at restaurants but it is encouraged and some restaurants add a 10% service charge to the bill. As an aside, it is easy for an American to track his spending as the United States Dollar (USD) is worth two Belizean Dollars (BZD) and USD is accepted as legal tender.
- Because of its former status as a British colony, where it was used as a means of supplying the British Crown with crops and oil, and its current membership among the Commonwealth of Nations, Belize has a queen in the form of the Queen of England. To be clear, Belize gained complete independence from Great Britain in 1981.
- Belize happens to feature the second-largest barrier reef on the planet. Understandably, this reef is known as the “Belize Barrier Reef” and is a major destination for many travelers to the country.
- It should not be surprising that the tallest structure within the country happens to reside within one of the temples erected by the ancient Maya. This structure, known as Ca’anna (meaning “sky-palace”), can be located within Caracol Maya Ruins.
- While Belize has many beaches to check out, Placencia Peninsula is where you will find the cream of the crop.
If any of this sounds at all appealing to you, especially the part about Placencia, you will need a place to stay. To that end, we recommend Mariposa Beach Resort. Mariposa is among the best resorts in Placencia, Belize, offering top-tier accommodations for adventure-seekers, newlyweds and anyone else looking to have a memorable trip.